01422 303060


If you require any more information, please call us on the Music Trust's main line: 01422 394167

Sheet Music will become availible for hire in mid-september at the Music Trust. Prices will vary between £1.50 and £3.00 at a maximum of 2 weeks hire time. For more information call: 01422 303060  (Out of office hours 01422 303065). Further information will be made availible in september.

The assisted instrument purchase scheme is run by a number of music retailers and allows pupils in maintained schools and academies to purchase instruments without paying VAT. This leads to a significant reduction in the price of buying musical instruments. Purchases should be made via you son/daughter's school (they can contact the Music Trust for more information if the school is unaware of the scheme). The school will buy the instrument on behalf of the pupil placing a formal order with the retailer and will bill the parent for the (VAT free) amount paid.

The enrolment form is available in the booklet Instrumental Teaching 2015/16 (available at schools) you can download it here. You can also give us a call on 01422 303060. (Out of office hours 01422 303065)

Adults are welcome to apply for lessons. Download our brochure here (or speak to one of our tutors) and return the form our our office. Lessons for adults are usually through ensembles and are run on Wednesday evenings at Heath Training & Development Centre.

If your child expresses a strong interest in an instrument then it's probably the right choice. Sometimes physical considerations have to be taken into account such as the size/model of the instrument your child is wanting to play. Nine years old is a good age to start playing instruments such as clarinet, flute, trumpet or trombone. Stringed instruments are more suitable for younger children to start to learn as there are a range of different sizes. For more advice, please contact Calderdale Music Trust on 01422 303060  (Out of office hours 01422 303065).

We have a stock of instruments which can be loaned to pupils on a first-come-first-served basis.  The hire fees vary according to instrument type and these are described on the enrolment form.  There is a small administration fee for the loan and parents are responsible for the care and maintenance/servicing of instruments and any fees this may incur.  Loans may last as long as a pupil is receiving tuition for that instrument with Calderdale Music Trust. Please email [email protected] if you require further information or call us on 01422 303060  (Out of office hours 01422 303065).

Music books and some additional accessories may be necessary dependent on lesson/instrument type (such as valve oil for brass instruments, reeds for woodwind instruments, drumsticks for percussion instruments and resin for stringed instruments). Tutors will advise on the items you will need to purchase. Information books may be provided by tutors and sheet music can be hired out by Calderdale Music Trust on request. For more information on prices for sheet music hire, please contact us on 01422 303060  (Out of office hours 01422 303065).

Please download a lesson booking form for details of lesson option packages, or contact the admin team on 01422 303060  (Out of office hours 01422 303065). If your child is already enrolled, then you will need to request a change of circumstances form from the administration team on the above number.

You do not have to be receiving lessons with Calderdale Music Trust to join our ensemble provision at Heath. Everyone who attends an Ensemble group will need to complete the enrolment form

You can apply for tuition in as many different instruments as you like. You will receive separate lessons for each instrument with a specialist teacher.

If you would like to change instrument (that is, you would like to stop receiving tuition for one instrument and start tuition in another), you must give written notice to cancel your current tuition as per Calderdale Music Trust's terms and conditions, and submit a new lesson booking form for the new lessons you would like.

Please note that it may not be possible to swap immediately as you may need a different teacher for the new tuition. If you are changing to an instrument in the same family and therefore will stay with the same teacher (for example, from a trombone to a cornet, or an electric keyboard to piano) an immediate change should be possible providing the Calderdale Music Trust's office is informed.

Calderdale Music Trust will invoice as close to the the start of the curriculum year and revisit any changes every half term. Where possible we will send invoices by email, or post where it is not appropriate.

Cash:  bring cash directly to the Calderdale Music Trust (CMT) office at Heath Training and Development Centre.  PLEASE DO NOT SEND CASH IN THE POST.

Cheque:  made payable to "Calderdale Music Trust Ltd.’ and sent to the office at CMT main contact address (Please put your account number and invoice on the back of the cheque.)

BACS:  Lloyds Bank Account No. 58102060  Sort Code. 30-93-76.  Please quote your name and invoice number and advise when payment is made.

Direct debit:  you will need to request an application form from the CMT office if you have not already returned a Direct Debit form. Payments will be collected on the 1st of the month following the invoices being issued. Payment instalments if you enrolled at the beginning of the year will be 10 instalments. If you enroll in the year the installment number will be advised by CMT so that the last collection will be at the end of the curriculum year with collection being September 1st.

Please do not make payments directly to tutors.

For school age children attending Local Authority Schools or Academies lessons take place in school and during school hours where possible.

There are also Central Classes where lessons are taught outside of school hours usually at the Heath Training and Development Centre in the Annex. There are other agreed venues and the pupils will be advsied of location and timing.

  • All stringed instruments
  • Guitar - classical and electric
  • All woodwind instruments
  • All brass instruments
  • Percussion orchestral and drum kit
  • Piano (Only individual and "paired" lessons available)
  • Electronic keyboard
  • Voice
  • Ukulele
  • Membership of an orchestra, band, guitar ensemble or choir
  • Participation in various concert activitie

Yes. Please indicate this where requested on the booking form and you may wish to write some further details on the booking form about which the teacher will be made aware. Music can be a way of engaging with students with special educational needs whilst developing confidence and self-esteem.

There are two regional music centres that rehearse on a weekly basis during term time. There are lots of different groups for musicians of all abilities. Your child's tutor will let them know when they are ready to join; this is usually within the first year of lessons. From an early stage playing in an ensemble, band or other musical group is a vital part of the music education process and child's development.

If you/your child join a music centre group either at the Halifax Music Centre at Heath or West Calderdale Music Centre at Riverside Junior School, you will need to complete an ensemble membership agreement which is also available at the CMT main office.

If a pupil withdraws from an ensemble during the term the full term must be paid for. Withdrawal from ensemble membership must be notified in writing.

If you have enrolled for lessons but no longer want them please contact the CMT office immediately. The office must be notified before the lessons are due to start otherwise fees will be charged for the whole term.

Once lessons have started, a pupil can only withdraw from lessons at the end of a term.

Cancellation of lessons must be sent in writing directly to the CMT office (i.e. a letter, fax or email). The CMT officewill notaccept a telephone call as notice of cancellation it must be in writing.Confirmation and acceptance on the cancellation be made by email by CMT.

Written notice must be received at the CMT office by:

The first thing to decide will be which family of instruments you/your child is interested in. CMT teachers are able to offer advice on the main fanmily instrument groups.

Brass, Guitar (Classical Guitar/Ukulele), Woodwind, Percussion, Strings, Percussion, Music Technology (Electric Guitar/Electric Bass/Acoustic Guitar, Piano, Keyboards) and Voice – please refer to the instruments section of the website for further information.

You can watch musicians by searching online video sharing websites and this should help you identify the different qualities of these instruments.

Most instruments are suitable for all ages. However there are smaller instrument sizes available. Additional information on instruments is available on the website. If your child started lessons and the instrument they had chosen to learn was unsuitable, the teacher would advise you of an appropriate alternative.

If a teacher is absent from work long term, CMT will try to arrange for a cover teacher.Details of this will be sent to you in writing and/or you will be contacted. If you have any questions/queries regarding teacher absence/ substitute teachers, please call us on 01422 303060  (Out of office hours 01422 303065).

The music trust works to a tight budget and lesson costs are kept to a minimum. Unfortunately no refunds can be offered if your child misses a lesson.

CMT aim to deliver a guaranteed minimum of 30 lessons. Refunds will only be given if CMT have failed to provide less than 30.

All lesson registers are monitored at the CMT office in the Summer holidays. If a pupil has not received the requisite number of lessons i.e. a minimum of 30 lessons (or proportion of depending on how many terms the student has been charged for), a credit will be placed on your account in the Summer holidays. The credit adjustment will then appear on next years invoice.


Piano Man

Arts Council

Arts Council

Newsletter sign-up